THE HISTORY OF SHRIGLEY HALL
14TH CENTURY ONWARDS
The name of Shrigley Hall came from the original owners the De Shrigley’s. The Hall was passed down by marriage to the Downes family in the 14th century who resided on the estate for over 300 years.
In 1818, the estate was sold to the former MP for Blackburn, William Turner, with the present hall built, in 1825.
William Turner had only one heiress, his daughter Ellen Turner. In 1826, whilst only fifteen years of age, she was at the centre of one of the most outrageous cases of abduction that has been chronicled.
On March 7th 1826, Ellen was taken away from her school at Liverpool on false pretences by Gibbon Wakefield. They headed to Gretna Green where they wed. From there, they travelled to London and then on to Calais where Miss Turner was rescued by her uncle. Wakefield was tried at Lancaster on March 3rd 1827 where he was found guilty and sentenced to three years imprisonment. The scandal created huge press coverage throughout the country.
Ellen, who later married Thomas Legh, died at the age of 19 after giving birth to their only child Ellen Jane.
Ellen Jane inherited Shrigley from her grandfather and later married the Reverend Brabazon Lowther. The two lived at Shrigley Hall until he died on the 30th December 1877, with Ellen passing away during November 1906. Their son William subsequently inherited the estate.
In 1929 the Hall was sold to the Salesians Order for £3000 and subsequently converted into a missionary college. The adjoining church was designed by famed architect Phillip Tilden and built, in 1936 from stone quarried from the estate. The building was a shrine to Saint John Bosco. The college housed up to 200 male students at any one time. Many of the boys became priests or brothers and work all over the world, particularly in third world countries.
Once the Salesians left the Hall in 1986 and moved to Savio House in Bollington village, work commenced creating what Shrigley Hall is today. In 1989 the doors of Shrigley opened for the first time as a hotel, spa and golf resort with an extensive wedding and conference facilities.
Since 1994 it has been managed by various hotel groups and as of July 2017, Shrigley Hall is now an independently owned property.
We have a fascinating history trail around the estate. Questions and directions are contained within our walking map that can be collected from Reception. Additionally, images on the ground floor and a timeline display of when the property was a school. This can be found at the top of the main staircase, turn right and follow the corridor.